Entries in Maemo Games (1)

Thursday
Dec092010

Games on Maemo (Linux) - Device UI

Role: Head of Concept and Design
Contribution: Led four person team to design new games experience for Games on Maemo (Linux device)

Design Challenge: Evolve the N-Gage games platform, taking what was successful (social connected games) and bring that to the new Nokia Maemo (Linux) platform. The design challenge included building a full new UI and UX for a platform that itself was not finished, creating moving target for design to hit. An additional goal was to find holes and limitation in the new platform that the various services would need resolved before final release. Unfortunately games would be cut as a key service for this device and much of this would would be shelved, awaiting a new device. 



Concept wire frames for Games on Maemo

This project would last four "Sprints" (not true agile development), each lasting about two weeks. During each iteration the design was simplified to shorten development time and to align with both the overall device UX and the other Nokia Services (Messaging, Music, Imagery, etc). The above image was made using a new technique for the team, (a variation on paper prototype), hand drawing UI on stickies cut to screen aspect ratio. This allowed us to quickly manipulate order and arrangement to iterate on the design with user feedback. New concepts could be made rapidly and inserted into the design and tested with users.

 

Detail wireframe (first pass) for Games on Maemo 

This was the first wire frame done to aligned the games service UX with the device UX. As we iterated on the design we removed extraneous features and improved consistency within our own service and consistency with the other services. We also found holes in the overall UX of the device, specifically with how native, vs. downloaded apps were to be handled. These lead to significant changes to the device UX paradigm.

 


Detail wireframe (Second pass) for Games on Maemo 

This final iteration was done to further align with device requirements and other services to create a completely seamless experience for our service with others. At this stage we were meeting with our own development team sizing the amount of development work this would be and preparing for building interactive flash prototypes to be tested with users in short user research studies. Unfortunately at this stage the games service as pulled as a key selling point for this device and the device itself was delayed. 

 

Portrait wireframe for Games on Maemo 

In designing our portrait solution for Games on Maemo, we chose to use a combination of limiting data visualization (Game library goes from 9 to 6 displayed games) and curated stacking of elements, (Games above social info). We felt this gaves us the best balance of information and consistency.